Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why can't we just be happy??

Why is it that we always want the one thing that we don't have?  I have thought about this question in the past, it just really hit me today.

I was having (what I thought was) a bad hair day today.  It was CAZY frizzy and going all over the place. I don't feel good and I didn't have the energy to tame it down so I just left looking like a frizz ball.  I got to the Dr. and on the way out one of the nurses said:
"I love your hair!"
I said: "thanks but it is really crazy today."
She replied "I really like it and am so jealous you have so much curl!"



Wow.  Ok it took me back.  Maybe life is just about trying to be happy with what we have.   It got me to thinking:

It makes me sad I don't have kids and our fertility has been a long struggle, but there are people that tell Ted and I how lucky we are we don't have kids.  At first this kinda made me frustrated.  But lately I realize we are lucky, and they are lucky to have kids.  We get the nights off, we can stay up late and sleep in.  We can do things on our own time.  Parents don't get that freedom but get the little ones to snuggle in at night and say "I love you!"  We don't get constant snuggles like that but we do get to spoil the kids in our life because we don't have to discipline them! :)

Do you see what I am thinking here?  Maybe you already know this but it is just making me want to be happy with EVERY area in my life.  I am just hoping that some of you feel the same way?  I just feel like there is always something we want different:

If you have straight hair you want curly
BUT - people with curly want straight
If you have a big house you want smaller
BUT - people with smaller want bigger
If you live at the beach you want to live or vacation near the trees
BUT - people who live near mountains crave the beach
If you have a two door car you want a bigger one with more cargo room
BBUT - people with SUV's and Trucks want less of the gas guzzler



Maybe it is just time I am happy with who I am!   I am a woman who loves her husband and bulldog and is happy with her life without kids, I love to bake and decorate cakes but I can't scrapebook to save my life, I love to exercise and run, but I can't compete in races, I have crazy curly hair that takes a lot of time to do, but I love it, and most of all I have hair, I love to decorate and create wall hangings with my photography but I can't craft a wall hanging that is actually legible , some days I have a lot pain, but that means other days I fell much better, I love to learn, but I am not good at reading....but the main thing is that I LOVE who I am, ok I mean and I am learning to love ME every day.

Ok that's it for now just my thoughts for today.  Do you ever feel like this?

P.S. I LOVE my Mac that takes pictures of me when Ted's not home
Thanks MacBook!

7 comments:

Hezstone said...

Stef you got it! Love every level of life. You're gorgeous..inside and out..and I LOVE LOVE LOVE you to bits. And I so get what you are saying. I missed the "long leg" line...still ticks me off. But then again I like that people can't see up MY nose...lol :) xx Come visit us sometime. Tell Ted hi for me too.

Domanique said...

you are such a rockstar!! I love you!

Brent and Jenny Colvin said...

AMEN. :) I always end up feeling miserable if I compare myself to others, and I hate seeing others comparing themselves to me and what they THINK my life is like. I just try to hang on to the thought that "men are that they might have joy" and that the Lord knows what is best for me. PS You gotta embrace those curls, they are fabulous!

Kathy said...

Way to look at the positive...love you!!

nathalia said...

Great post! Great goals! It's so true. Loving the life and experiences God gives us is the key to happiness! Oh, and using those experiences and gifts to serve others. You do both so well!

Kristi said...

I always always always feel like this. Except I'm your opposite. Let's switch places for a couple of days. :)

Heidi K said...

Stef,

I just love, Love, LOve, LOVe, LOVE, you, curls and all! Awesome post-well put. Thanks for the reminder...